Tonight I gave a tele-class to professional organizers from NAPO. I shared with them my personal experiences and ideas/tips for organizing the holidays around the year. My Master Holiday Checklist included: Creating a Holiday notebook (usually a 3 ring binder ) where everything is stored. Use this checklist as a reference, keeping in mind that not every client needs or wants to be organized for everything on this list.
Holiday Goals-What are their expectations?
Holiday Ideas Notebook-to collect ideas throughout the year
Success and mistakes List-from year to year, so they learn from their mistakes!
Create a budget per Holiday
Timeline or flow -chart for each holiday
to do list for each holiday
holiday storage-home/outdoor decorations, dishware, gift wrap etc
The organized kitchen
Setting up the house.
MY FAVORITE TIPS
Remember holidays are all about family and friends gathering together! Less is more. Keep the value of the holiday in mind. Here is how I make the holidays stress free and enjoyable for everyone.
1. Begin with the end in mind..set the table before you start cooking. It makes me feel like it will all come out right on time.
2. Keep your list close and add to them as you need (you might want to put them on your phone)
3. Choose one area that is important to you an make that your priority.
4. Delegate as much as you can. Hire help (if it's in your budget.)
5. Involve your children by letting them help you make some food or decorations at the table. Involving the family makes it a fun experience.
6. Buy a new apron. It always makes cooking fun.
7. Put on your favorite music while you cook.
8 .Light a fragrant candle to make the house smell nice.
9. Invite a friend to cook with you
10. Drink a glass of wine while you are cooking
Happy Holiday Preparations!!